|author||Gaetan Rivet <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2018-02-07 10:26:10 +0100|
|committer||Thomas Monjalon <email@example.com>||2018-02-14 16:32:00 +0100|
doc: update deprecation notice for devargs
The declaration and identification of devices will change in v18.05. Remove the precedent deprecation notice. Add new one reflecting the planned changes more accurately, updated for v18.05. Signed-off-by: Gaetan Rivet <firstname.lastname@example.org> Acked-by: Shreyansh Jain <email@example.com> Acked-by: Ferruh Yigit <firstname.lastname@example.org> Acked-by: Thomas Monjalon <email@example.com>
1 files changed, 17 insertions, 12 deletions
diff --git a/doc/guides/rel_notes/deprecation.rst b/doc/guides/rel_notes/deprecation.rst
index d59ad59..07312f5 100644
@@ -8,18 +8,23 @@ API and ABI deprecation notices are to be posted here.
-* eal: several API and ABI changes are planned for ``rte_devargs`` in v18.02.
- The format of device command line parameters will change. The bus will need
- to be explicitly stated in the device declaration. The enum ``rte_devtype``
- was used to identify a bus and will disappear.
- The structure ``rte_devargs`` will change.
- The ``rte_devargs_list`` will be made private.
- The following functions are deprecated starting from 17.08 and will either be
- modified or removed in 18.02:
- - ``rte_eal_devargs_add``
- - ``rte_eal_devargs_type_count``
- - ``rte_eal_parse_devargs_str``, replaced by ``rte_eal_devargs_parse``
+* eal: both declaring and identifying devices will be streamlined in v18.05.
+ New functions will appear to query a specific port from buses, classes of
+ device and device drivers. Device declaration will be made coherent with the
+ new scheme of device identification.
+ As such, ``rte_devargs`` device representation will change.
+ - removal of ``name`` and ``args`` fields.
+ - The enum ``rte_devtype`` was used to identify a bus and will disappear.
+ - The ``rte_devargs_list`` will be made private.
+ - Functions previously deprecated will change or disappear:
+ + ``rte_eal_devargs_add``
+ + ``rte_eal_devargs_type_count``
+ + ``rte_eal_parse_devargs_str``, replaced by ``rte_eal_devargs_parse``
+ + ``rte_eal_devargs_parse`` will change its format and use.
+ + all ``rte_devargs`` related functions will be renamed, changing the
+ ``rte_eal_devargs_`` prefix to ``rte_devargs_``.
* pci: Several exposed functions are misnamed.
The following functions are deprecated starting from v17.11 and are replaced: